No allergic or irritant reactions to diisodecyl phthalate (DIDP) were induced in a panel of 104 volunteers given repeated skin applications of the neat material, but two cases are described of allergic dermatitis following occupational or medical exposure. DIDP was generally described as non-irritant to the skin and eyes of rabbits, but produced signs of lung irritation in rats on inhalation exposure. The chemical was of low acute oral and dermal toxicity in rats and rabbits, and of low acute inhalation toxicity in rats. Liver effects, including indications of an increase in certain subcellular structures (peroxisomes), occurred in rats fed DIDP; liver changes were also seen in dogs. In rats and mice treated orally during pregnancy, there was evidence of mild foetotoxicity in rats at maternally toxic dose levels. DIDP showed no evidence of genotoxicity in mice after acute oral administration. Screening assays in mammalian cells in culture and in a variety of bacterial systems (including an Ames test) have, in general, failed to demonstrate any genotoxic potential. DIDP has not been tested for carcinogenicity.

Date of Publication: 1998

Number of Pages: 11

CAS Number*: 26761-40-0

68515-49-1

Format: PDF available for immediate download

Toxicity Profiles A-Z

1-8 A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U V X Z

toxnewscta 1

* CAS Registry Number is a Registered Trademark of the American Chemical Society

Toxicity Profiles Home Become a Member (50% Off Profiles) Contact Us