Maltol was moderately irritating to rabbit skin but did not induce skin sensitization in volunteers given repeated applications. It was of moderate acute oral toxicity in various species of laboratory animals and of low acute dermal toxicity to one rabbit. Repeated oral exposure to rats, mice and dogs affected various tissues including the liver, kidneys, testes, lungs, heart and blood. In limited feeding studies there was no evidence of reproductive toxicity in rats or of carcinogenicity in rats and mice. Maltol damaged the chromosomes of mice treated by injection and of human cells in culture and was mutagenic in Ames bacterial tests.

Date of Publication: 1990

Number of Pages: 4

CAS Number*: 118-71-8

Format: PDF available for immediate download

Toxicity Profiles A-Z

1-8 A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U V X Z

toxnewscta 1

* CAS Registry Number is a Registered Trademark of the American Chemical Society

Toxicity Profiles Home Become a Member (50% Off Profiles) Contact Us