The neat liquid was mildly irritating to rabbit skin and the vapour irritated the eye and nose of rats. Dimethyl sulphide did not induce skin sensitization in a volunteer study. Acute oral toxicity was low to moderate in rodents and acute dermal toxicity was low in rabbits. Single exposures by the oral and inhalation routes affected the nervous system of rodents. Repeated oral administration to rats and rabbits resulted in effects on the blood, lungs and kidney and some organ weight changes. In limited tests, dimethyl sulphide was not mutagenic in mammalian cells in culture and there was no evidence of DNA damage in bacteria.

Date of Publication: 1989

Number of Pages: 6

CAS Number*: 75-18-3

Format: PDF available for immediate download

Toxicity Profiles A-Z

1-8 A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U V X Z

toxnewscta 1

* CAS Registry Number is a Registered Trademark of the American Chemical Society

Toxicity Profiles Home Become a Member (50% Off Profiles) Contact Us