Divinylbenzene was of low acute oral toxicity in the rat and caused central nervous system depression. It was of low acute dermal toxicity in rabbits and apparently affected various organ systems in rats treated by inhalation including the respiratory and central nervous systems. In a Soviet study, degenerative changes in a number of organs were seen in rats treated orally for 2 months. Mutagenicity assays in bacterial cells (including the Ames test), mammalian cells in culture and the fruit fly were evidently uniformly negative. Divinylbenzene was mildly irritating to the eye, skin and mucous membranes of humans. It irritated the eyes of rats and rabbits and caused irritation to the respiratory tract of rodents.

Date of Publication: 1995

Number of Pages: 6

CAS Number*: 1321-74-0




Format: PDF available for immediate download

Toxicity Profiles A-Z

1-8 A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U V X Z

toxnewscta 1

* CAS Registry Number is a Registered Trademark of the American Chemical Society

Toxicity Profiles Home Become a Member (50% Off Profiles) Contact Us