Occupational exposure to methylene diphenyl diisocyanate (in various forms) has caused irritation of the eyes and respiratory tract, skin sensitization, asthmatic symptoms and deterioration in lung function. It produced skin and eye irritation in rabbits and was a skin sensitizer in rodents. The diisocyanate was of low acute toxicity to rats when administered orally and to rabbits treated dermally, but displayed a high acute toxicity when inhaled by rats. Repeated inhalation exposure damaged the respiratory tract and lungs of rodents and induced tissue changes in the lymph nodes. Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate produced chromosomal damage in human cells in culture, but not in mice given a single intraperitoneal injection. Both positive and negative results have been reported in Ames bacterial tests.

Date of Publication: 1989

Number of Pages: 10

CAS Number*: 101-68-8





Format: PDF available for immediate download

Toxicity Profiles A-Z

1-8 A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U V X Z

toxnewscta 1

* CAS Registry Number is a Registered Trademark of the American Chemical Society

Toxicity Profiles Home Become a Member (50% Off Profiles) Contact Us